I have been meaning to try making stuffed peppers for a while now and it wasn’t until I saw a post in our free Metro newspaper that I decided to give it a go. Instead of using the recipe in the paper that called for beef, I did a search online for stuffed pepper recipes that used ground chicken since that’s what I had on hand. I found a recipe here at SOS Cuisine but I altered it a bit to make it suitable for two peppers instead of four.
Click here for the altered recipe or scroll to the bottom of the post.
They turned out pretty darn good!
I’ve been looking for recipes that are low in carbs and this recipe delivered. Mainly vegetables and meat with just a bit of rice thrown in there.
The one problem I had was that my chicken was past the “best before” date and I wondered if I should be cooking it or not. It smelled fine and looked fine so I went ahead. And here I am, healthy and feeling good, so I think it was the right decision!
I am generally not all that overly concerned about the best before dates on food products. I do heed them to a certain extent and consider something more carefully if the date has passed, but more often than not I have found that those dates are more a caution than a black and white rule.
Sadly, my four peppers didn’t fit into the same dish so I had to use a second one.
My peppers took about 40 minutes to cook thoroughly, keep an eye on them and add 5 minute increments if you don’t feel as though they have finished in the time mentioned in the recipe.
The peppers were simple to make, delicious and filling!
And, in addition to that, I reheated one for lunch today and ….yep, still yummy! So make a couple extra halves and keep them for future meals!
- 3 tbsp long grain rice
- 2 peppers of any colour
- 1/2 onion finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 tbsp butter
- 1-1.5 tsp olive oil
- 300g ground chicken
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4-1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- pinch of garlic powder (or fresh garlic, which I didn’t have at the time)
- parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 175°C/350°F.
- Cook rice
- While rice is cooking, cut the peppers in half lengthwise, then remove the seeds; finely chop the onion; cut the celery into small pieces.
- Heat half of the butter and oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until lightly coloured and soft, paying attention not to let it burn.
- Add the celery and sauté 2 more min, then remove the vegetables from the skillet and set aside.
- Add the remaining butter and oil to the skillet, then add the ground chicken meat. Cook until the meat looses its red colour. When the meat is golden-coloured, put the cooked onion and celery back into the pan. Pour in the broth, then add the paprika and cayenne. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the cooked rice and mix well.
- Fill the pepper halves with the meat-rice mixture, dividing and slightly mounding it equally among the halves. Arrange the stuffed peppers in a baking dish. Sprinkle the cheese over the top of the stuffed peppers. Put in an oven safe dish and add a bit of water (1/4-1/2 cup depending on the dish) to maintain the moisture.
- Bake the peppers, uncovered, in the middle of the oven until the tops are browned, about 35 min.
Remarks from the website:
- The peppers may be stuffed 1 day ahead, then covered and chilled in the refrigerator. When ready to bake, sprinkle them with the cheese, pour water in the dish, then bake.
- The prepared, stuffed peppers may also be baked ahead of time, then warmed up 15 min in the oven at 120°C/250°F before serving.