Click here for the recipe or scroll to the bottom of the post.
I love BBQ chicken. Sadly, we don’t have a BBQ so I have to make do with our oven and stovetop.
This particular way of preparing the chicken breasts leaves them moist and delicious! You don’t get the grill smoke, but the smoked paprika helps with that and the coating keeps in all the flavour and juices. So good!
The first thing I should mention is that this chicken needs to marinade for at least an hour so this isn’t a spur of the moment recipe. You have to preplan a bit. I left my chicken to marinade in the fridge overnight and it was spectacular so if you can wait for longer than an hour, I would encourage it.
Also, go with bone-in chicken breasts. The bone adds to the flavour, not to mention they’re cheaper! :)
These are my chicken breasts after marinading for about 16 hours, laid out on a cookie sheet and sprinkled with a good amount of pepper and sea salt.
And here they are afterwards. I baked them at 350F for about 20 minutes, brushed on BBQ sauce, baked for another 10 minutes, did the BBQ sauce brushing yet again and then allowed for another 10-15 minutes.
They were moist and delicious! All that was missing from this BBQ chicken was the grill lines!
- chicken breasts, bone in
- smoked paprika
- olive oil
- lemon juice
- garlic, minced
- cajun spice (or other mixed spice that you like)
- BBQ sauce, your preference
- Mix the paprika, lemon juice, garlic, oil and spice mix. Place chicken breasts in a freezer bag (or something else as sturdy), cover in marinade and place in fridge for anywhere from 1 to 12+ hours.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Place chicken breasts in a casserole dish uncovered, or a cookie sheet and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 20-25 mins.
- After the initial bake, remove from oven and brush on the BBQ sauce. Return to oven for 5-10 mins. Do this 2 or 3 times depending on the size of the chicken breasts and how long they need to reach an internal temperature of 165F.